On display Jan 29, 2010 - Apr 18, 2010
Museums in the 21st Century: Concepts, Projects, Buildings, an exhibition initiated, created, and organized by the Art Centre Basel, opens at the New Mexico Museum of Art on Friday, January 29, 2010.
The installation of the Museums in the 21st Century: Concepts, Projects, Buildings at the New Mexico Museum of Art will conclude the exhibition’s successful national and international tour. Museum curator Merry Scully has selected more than a dozen museum building projects from the original exhibition for inclusion in the installation in Santa Fe.
The first ten years of the 21st century witnessed the apex internationally for the commissioning of museum buildings by star architects. The many new museum buildings, renovations, and/or expansions taking place all over the world interested the director of the Art Centre Basel, Suzanne Greub, who then developed this exhibition. For Museum of the 21st Century, Greub considered the new architecture in terms of the look and function of the structures and how the new architecture would interplay with each particular museum’s history, geography, holdings, and programming.
The exhibition showcases more than a dozen museums, including:
- Taniguchi and Associates, Expansion of the Museum of Modern Art, New York, NY
- Tadao Ando, Chichu Art Museum, Kagawa, Japan
- Spacelab, Peter Cook / Colin Fournier, Kunsthaus Graz and Landesmuseum Joanneum, Graz, Austria
- Renzo Piano Building Workshop, Zentrum Paul Klee, Bern, Switzerland
- David Chipperfield (Planunggruppe Museumsinsel Berlin), Neues Museum
- Bernard Tschumi, The New Acropolis Museum, Athens, Greece
- Frank O. Gehry, The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., USA
- Rafael Vinoly, The Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
- Daniel Libeskind, Extension of the Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO, USA
An ART CENTRE BASEL exhibition: Suzanne Greub (Idea and Concept), Daniel Boos (Exhibition Management), www.artcentrebasel.com
Images from the Exhibition
Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC
Gehry Partners, LLP
Chichu Art Museum, Naoshima, Japan
Tadao Ando Architect & Associates
Extension of the Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO
Studio Daniel Libeskind with Davis Partnership, PC