100 Years of the Museum of New Mexico

 

1909
The New Mexico territorial legislature passed the bill that established the MNM.

1913
The Museum of New Mexico began to publish El Palacio.

1917
Museum of Fine Arts was dedicated on November 25, 1917.

1935
State Monuments were placed under the administration of the Museum of New Mexico.

1947
The Laboratory of Anthropology merged with the Museum of New Mexico.

1953
The Museum of International Folk (MOIFA) opened to the public.

1973
Fort Selden, located near Las Cruces, New Mexico, is designated a state monument.

1987
The Museum of Indian Arts and Culture (MIAC) opened to the public.

1990
Office of Archaeological Studies is created.

2003
Office of Cultural Affairs became a Cabinet level division.

2009
Memorial Day weekend opening for the NM Mexico History Museum.



© 2003-2012 The New Mexico Museum of Art, a division of the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs. 107 West Palace, off the historic Santa Fe Plaza
Mailing Address: PO Box 2087, Santa Fe, NM 87504
505/476-5072 | finearts.museum@state.nm.us